Sunday, February 17, 2013

Healthier Meatballs


Basic Healthier Meatballs

I don’t really have a proper recipe for Meatballs … I just make them not really measuring anything … but here are some estimates and pics showing some helpful hints. 

1-1/2 lbs Organic Ground Beef or Pork or a Combination of the Two
½ cup Bread Crumbs*
1 Tblsp Italian Seasoning 
¼ cup Freshly Grated Parmesan
¼ cup Dry Parsley
Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Mix it all together with your hands … I use restaurant disposable gloves.  Then use a melon baller to scoop up the right amount and roll in your hands to get uniform ball shape.  For use in soups, such as Italian Wedding Soup, I make them the size of marbles.  Since this is a process … the rolling … I usually make a double batch and freeze them AFTER they have been precooked.

My hubby came up with a quicker method in making the marble sized meatballs.  We roll out the meat (into a log form) after all ingredients have been added to the diameter of marbles, cut off marble sized sections, then roll.  This sure makes the process go much much faster!!!

There’s several ways to cook your meatballs and I have tried them all … there’s not much difference in the finished result but here’s the how to:

  •      Poach them in boiling water, dropping them in one at a time so they do not stick to each other.
  •    Pan Fry them in a single layer in a bit of EVOO.
  •           Bake them in the oven spaced out on a cookie sheet (as shown in my pics).
I still have not determined HOW to get them to maintain their uniform perfectly round shape after cooking so if any of you have any hints on this, by all means, please share!!!

*The Bread Crumbs I use contain only 5 clean ingredients and are preservative free and free from HFCS.  






The Meatballs on the BACK were baked and
those on the FRONT were poached.  See ... not
much difference, is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment