Sunday, November 25, 2012

Nanny's Pecan Pie



The cookbook in this photo is the family cookbook I designed,
edited and had published.  I'm very proud of that cookbook!


This is my Nanny’s recipe … best Pecan Pie I’ve ever eaten though I do use a different type of syrup than she did and I prefer my Pecans chopped whereas she kept hers in halves.  Nanny used Blackburn-Made Syrup (made by a company in Texas) and I prefer a cane sugar based syrup (Roddenberry’s Cane Patch Syrup which only has 3 ingredients and is 35% cane syrup … though there are other brands I’ve used in the past which are very similar).  To me, mine is just a wee bit better than my Nanny’s … she, of course, thought hers was better but she was proud that I used her recipe and didn’t use Karo Syrup like a lot of folks do.  She always said that “Karo syrup has no business in a Pecan Pie” LOL  Now, I’ve made this Pecan Pie for years and years and even used to make it for my husbands English grandmother, who always requested it saying it was the best she had ever had!!!  I once made it in Canada for her on one of our frequent trips years ago … great memories!  My son, Anthony, always requests it and says that no one’s Pecan Pie is as good as his Moms! 

This recipe makes one regular size pie.  I like a deep dish Pecan Pie cause you get more of the oooy gooey insides so I make one and a half recipe which is perfect for a deep dish pie crust.  If you want to make it a deep dish pie, you’ll have to do the math LOL





Nanny’s Pecan Pie

1 cup Syrup
¾ cup Sugar
3 Tblsps Butter
3 lrg Eggs or 4 small, slightly beaten
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Pecans (I prefer mine chopped)

Preheat oven to 350°.  In a saucepan, cook the Syrup and Sugar on medium heat until the Sugar is dissolved.  You do not want it to come to a boil.  NOTE: if it is boiling and you add the eggs, they will cook like your making egg drop soup and you DO NOT want that!  Pour in Eggs and whisk until blended, add Vanilla and Butter.  Once Butter is melted, remove from heat and stir in the Pecans.  Pour into an uncooked ready made pie crust.  Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top has browned.


I placed this pie on a plate I inherited from my Mama ... sadly I have no idea what the story behind the plate is since in 1952 she would have been 16 ... maybe it was a birthday gift, I don't know.  I do know that she made her own birthday cake on her 16th birthday so I feel sure it has something to do with that.  But since my Mama is gone ... I will never know.  Makes me sad but I'm glad that I have it!


No comments:

Post a Comment