Sunday, December 16, 2012

Chicken Taco Soup

 This recipe is from my niece and is in the family cookbook I published a couple years ago.  As with all the soup recipes I post, this one is great for freezing.  Since it’s just me and my hubby at home we freeze a lot of stuff in individual portions in freezer bags cause most recipes just CANNOT be cut in half and we really don’t want to eat on a whole pot of soup for an entire week.  Freezing makes for an easy night’s supper when you don’t feel like cooking.  Just take it straight from the freezer, break it on the counter top, remove from bag and place in a saucepan on low on the stove top (I’m not a big fan of microwaves but microwaving would work just fine except that you would need to ‘defrost’ it in the microwave prior to heating it up) … just as good the second time around!  




Chicken Taco Soup

1 can Chicken Broth
1 can Black Beans, undrained
1 can Whole Kernel Corn, undrained
2 cans Tomatoes with Chilies
1 can Tomato Sauce
1 pkt Ranch Dressing Mix
1 pkt Taco Seasoning
3 Chicken Breasts, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
Topping
Olive Oil
Flour tortillas
Cheese
Sour cream

Sauté Chicken with Onion.  Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.  Make sure you do not drain the Black Beans and Corn!!!  Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.  You may want to add an additional can of Chicken Broth if it is not soupy enough.  

To prepare topping: Using a pizza cutter, cut Flour Tortillas in half, then cut into strips.  In a separate pan, fry tortilla strips until brown on both sides.  Serve soup with fried tortilla strips, cheese and sour cream on top.

Note: I use Rotel Tomatoes with Chilies but tonight I was out of them so I used Rotel Tomatoes with Cilantro and Lime …. Yummmmm worked out just fine!!!  You may want to only use a part of the Taco Seasoning packet until you’ve tasted … I use the whole packet but it does make it pretty spicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment