Saturday, January 5, 2013

Tuscan Style Cannellini Beans with Sage


This recipe comes from an Italian cookbook, which was originally printed in 1950 (in Italian) and written by an Italian lady well known in Italy for sharing and publishing authentic Italian recipes ~ a gift from Scott’s grandmother many years ago.  I’ve had great success with every recipe I’ve tried from this cookbook!  I’m one who doesn’t hesitate to make notes and such in my cookbooks … which used to make my Mama cringe … Mama just didn’t believe in writing in a book!!  Once I’ve tried a recipe in a cookbook, I will put a red star beside it if it’s a winner, X it out (usually with a marker lol) if it’s a loser and sometimes even adjust the recipe to improve it.  Before I started doing that I’d forget if it was a recipe I had tried and sometimes use the same lousy recipe twice … ugh!  But anyway … so far this cookbook has had nothing but winner recipes.

Tuscan Style Cannellini Beans with Sage

2-3 cans Cannellini Beans, drained
2 Tblsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½-1 tsp Sage*
2 cloves Garlic, sliced
1 can Diced Tomatoes, drained
Sea Salt and Fresh Pepper to taste

*I use fresh Sage ~ about 8-12 leaves (or more, depending on size), leaving them whole.  Here’s a hint ~ if you rub the Sage leaves in your hands before adding to the Beans it releases the oils and therefore the flavor.
  
Place all ingredients in a pan.  Bring to a low boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Do not overcook and do not let them dry out … I usually reserve the juices off the Beans and Tomatoes for this reason and sometimes add a bit back to the Beans.




No comments:

Post a Comment