Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Italian and Greek Pasta Salads ~ Hold the Sapphire

Normally I make my Pasta Salad ~ Italian style.  I don’t have a true recipe as I just kinda throw it together but I’m listing my ingredients below with approximate measurements.  Years ago I would use an Italian store bought dressing to hold it together eeeew … now I make up my own … and it’s healthier.  And I use imported pasta as its much better and fresher tasting then the big brands.

Italian Pasta Salad

3 cups uncooked Tri Color Pasta
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Red, Yellow or Orange Pepper, chopped
1 Onion, chopped (Red Onions are best but I’ve used Vidalia)
1 can Cannellini Beans, rinsed and drained
Black Olives, sliced
1/2 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan
The Following Spices, to taste:
Basil
Oregano
Garlic Powder
Sea Salt
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Red Wine, a spash or two

Cook the Pasta as directed on package and run under cold water to stop cooking process.  Add remaining ingredients and stir gently with a wooden spoon to combine.  NOTE: Using Fresh Basil and Oregano (chopped, of course) makes a huge difference in flavor … Mmmm mmmm mmm!!!

I’ll add a picture for this one next time I make it!

A couple weeks ago, I decided to make a Greek Pasta Salad cause I wanted to use feta cheese so I came up with this recipe and it was awesome.  I made it to take as my side dish contribution to our neighborhood cook out BUT …

Just after I made it I noticed my blue sapphire ring was missing a stone so I decided it was best NOT to take it to the cookout.  Scott and I ate on it all week, taking slow and meticulous bites … looking for my sapphire but we never found it.



Greek Pasta Salad

3 cups uncooked Tri Color Pasta
1/2 Yellow Pepper, chopped
Handful Pitted Kalamata Olives
1 sm cont Grape Tomatoes, left whole
½ English Cucumber, chopped
1 cup Feta Cheese (I used crumbled but whole cut into cubes would be prettier)
1/2 large Onion, chopped
1 can Chick Peas (Garbanzo Beans), rinsed and drained
Half a small bag of Baby Spinach
To Taste Add:
Oregano
Thyme
Garlic Powder (tad)
Sea Salt
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Cook the Pasta as directed on package and run under cold water to stop cooking process.  Add remaining ingredients and stir gently with a wooden spoon to combine.  NOTE: Fresh Oregano and Thyme would have been much better but I was lazy and used the dried.  If you’ve never had fresh herbs as opposed to dried … honey you do not know what you’re missing.  Fresh is always BEST!



No comments:

Post a Comment