Thursday, April 28, 2011

Every Day in Tuscany Frances Mayes (Book Review)

Subtitled Seasons of an Italian Life. 

Author of Under the Tuscan Sun writes another memoir.  If you love Italy or anything Italiano, as I do, you will love this book.  The history, the architecture, the food, the beauty of the land … this is what I love about Italia.  And it doesn’t hurt that Scott is of Italian decent either.  LOL  Frances Mayes has a way with words that lets you envision being there firsthand.  Living it right along side her.  Though her chapters on art was a little boring … I’m just not into art like she is … you know interpreting it … I just enjoy a pretty painting when I see it!  She’s an American, born and raised in Fitzgerald, Georgia, who has lived with her husband in Cortona, Italy in the Tuscano regionale for some 20 years now.  I read her book Under the Tuscan Sun long before it was made into one of my favorite all time movies and this book follows with more living her Tuscan life. 
There’s even a few chapters dedicated to the Marche regionale and specifically describes her visits to Ascoli Piceno, from where Scott’s grandparents immigrated and where he still has Carboni family living.  Our oldest son, Anthony and his wife Kay, will be visiting with the Carboni family there for 10 days next month on their month long tour of Europe.  I envy them!!!
Back to the book … as with Under the Tuscan Sun, Ms. Mayes’ has included several delicious sounding recipes … a few of which I can’t wait to try … like homemade ravioli (as a teen, I watched, fascinated, as my best friend’s mom made them), the Pollo al Mattone (Chicken Under a Brick) and the Zuppa di Cavolo Nero, Cannellini, E Salsicce (Kale, White Bean and Sausage Soup) to name a few.  I would also love to try the Olive all’ Ascolana, breaded olives stuffed with meat(s) which originated in Ascoli Piceno, however, finding ascolana olives may prove difficult and besides, I don’t do well with frying!  I think I need to get in my library and pull out my copy of Under the Tuscan Sun as I do remember noting a few recipes in there I want to attempt as well but you know how it goes … out of sight, out of mind.  So I forgot!  LOL  Maybe I should categorize Ms. Mayes’ books under cookbooks? 
This is definitely a very enjoyable read if you’re into Italia!  Loved my little ‘trip’ to Italy!!!

1 comment:

  1. I saw the movie...never read the book. I'll have to start with the first one..and then read this!

    ReplyDelete