Monday, April 29, 2013

Spring Robins



Spring Robins

I love birds … I really do … I love to sit on my front porch and listen to them chirp and sing and watch them fly from tree to tree … lots of trees around here.  Oh and I always keep my Hummingbird feeder full.  My favorite though is the Red Bird, as my Mama called them, you know them as Cardinals.  I think I love them mostly because she loved them.  As a little girl she made them seem magical because when we would see one she would say “quick make a wish” so I thought they were a magical bird that could somehow make wishes come true!!! 

BUT … I do not like when a bird comes a knocking, or pecking I should say, on my window and will not go away.  I’ve had a Robin doing just that on my library window sidelight for going on 2 weeks now!  At first I thought it was a little crazy and just didn’t realize there was a window there and kept flying into it but no … it was just standing there tapping it.  I managed to get one video of it after many tries but haven’t been successful at photographing it … the elusive Robin it is.

Anyway … it has decided that my porch is the perfect spot for a nest … just above the sidelight window on the window trim ledge.  That would be fine and dandy if it didn’t leave its poop EVERYWHERE … all over my porch decking, all over my wicker furniture, all over the cast iron railings … EVERYWHERE!!!  I came home after being away for 4 days and OMG at the poop everywhere … it was pretty disgusting.

Well I’ve washed down the porch and all the furniture 3 times now and I’ve tried scaring the Robin off by clapping my hands, but that is only a temporary fix as she’s right back to work once I turn my back.  I’ve even knocked down her nest 3 times.  Don’t worry … she hasn’t laid her eggs yet … thank goodness!!!  If she had I would have to just deal with all the poop until the babies were born and learned to fly.  I AM NOT THAT CRUEL!!!

I did a little research online looking for a natural way to get rid of unwanted birds nesting and found that mixing Apple Cider Vinegar and Red Pepper Flakes and spraying the area works.  So I’ve tried it this morning … I will let you know if it works.

Afternoon: Well ya'll the spray of Apple Cider Vinegar and Red Pepper Flakes DOES NOT work ... there is an almost perfectly constructed nest back up on the ledge ... looks like I'm outta time to try anything else as they (yes they ... I did research and both the male and female Robins work on constructing the nest ... this explains my seeing two ... I'm not crazy LOL) have a nest almost completed and its time next to lay those eggs so I'll just have to put up with the poop for a few weeks longer until those babies fly the coop.  

No comments:

Post a Comment