Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Mediterranean Style Stuff Bell Peppers with Quinoa




I’ve made Stuff Bell Peppers in the past trying various recipes I’d find and they always always turn out like crap … greasy or tasteless or over done.  I searched and searched Pinterest trying to find a great new recipe to try but found nothing that seemed like the perfect recipe, at least to me … I found some flaw in everyone of them.  So I came up with my own and danggit if it didn’t work … turned out perfect!  Scott even said “best Stuff Peppers I’ve ever had” so this recipe is a definite keeper (and just so ya’ll know I don’t post my failed recipes … only the ones worth sharing … always).

Oh and this is a healthier version since I used Quinoa instead of rice!!!


Mediterranean Style Stuff Bell Peppers with Quinoa

4 lrg or 6 average sized Green Bell Peppers
1 Onion, chopped small but not minced
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 Tblsp Olive Oil, for taste
1.5 lbs Organic Ground Beef
1 tsp (heaping) Oregano
3-4 pinches Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
½ cup Quinoa, uncooked
1 can Rotel Tomatoes with Green Chilis
1 can Diced Organic Tomatoes
½ cup Crumbled Feta

Brown Ground Beef in a skillet over medium heat, about halfway through browning add the Onions, Garlic, Olive Oil, Oregano, Red Pepper Flakes, Sea Salt and Pepper and continue cooking until browned.  (drain off fat if necessary … I didn’t need to as the Ground Beef we buy doesn’t contain much fat).

Add the Quinoa and both cans of Tomatoes and continue cooking on medium-low heat (simmering) for about 15 minutes or until Quinoa is cooked. 

Add Crumbled Feta and stir until melted in.  Remove from heat.

While the meat mixture is simmering … Cut tops off your Bell Peppers and clean out the seeds.  Fill each Bell Pepper with the meat filling and sprinkle with additional Crumbled Feta on top.  Replace tops to the Bell Peppers and place in a oven proof dish that has been oiled with Olive Oil (so the Peppers do not stick).  Cover dish with Aluminum Foil.

Cook in 350° oven for about 30 minutes.  We like our Peppers still a little on the crunchy side.

NOTE: I only used 2 large Green Bell Peppers cause that’s what I had on hand and its just me and Scott so I let the remaining meat mixture cool and then put it in a freezer bag, popped it in the freezer for next time!!!



Yummmmm ... it was so delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment